Q: Am I eligible for a facelift? The lower part of my mouth looks like it’s jowly, it’s at the corner of my mouth but only on one side. I am showing an image where it is especially visible. I think it’s largely genetics that causes this as I am only 22 but it bothers me a lot. what can I have done to get rid pls?
A: Thanks for sharing your photo.
The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming 5 growing “waves” of skin at points of attachment, developing:
- hooding along the eyes,
- lower eyelid/cheek junction or tear trough / nasojugal fold
- nasolabial fold,
- lateral mouth commissure and marionette folds,
- jowls and neck.
If it applies to you, weight gain and then loss will reduce the volume of the face and similarly create these folds. Allowed to progress and the fold wrinkles the skin. Reversal of natural collagen reduction and volume redistribution of the face is the initial foundations of anti-aging.
Without the opportunity for an in-person consultation, your photos indicate mild skin laxity of the lateral brows and cheek/lid folds. You may simply need greater volume in the cheeks.
I would recommend that you:
- Consult with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options. These include:
- A Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for external stimulation and skin tightening.
- Well skilled filler injector or fat grafting of the cheeks and beginning folds
- Botox for brow elevation if you wish
- Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening
- Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting options such as Silhouette FaceLift suspension sutures
- I believe you’ll do best with the above as a foundation prior to any surgical options.
I hope this is helpful. All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.