Q: Hi! I’m 25 years old and have recently lost almost 90 pounds in the last year and a half. I’ve noticed the skin of my face has was volume to it and the smile lines around my mouth are deeper looking. I have noticeable marionette lines and slight jowls. Also, my eyelids seem to droop a bit more. I also have a small mandible and not the best side profile. It just seems that the weight loss has accentuated the flaws. What procedures could be done to lift and tighten these areas?
A: Thanks for sharing your photos. Congratulations on such meaningful weight loss!!
The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming 5 growing “waves” of skin at points of attachment, developing:
- hooding along the eyes,
- lower eyelid / cheek junction or tear trough / nasojugal fold
- nasolabial fold,
- lateral mouth commissure and marionette folds,
- jowls and neck.
Yes, weight gain and then loss will reduce the volume of the face and similarly create these folds. Allowed to progress and the fold wrinkles the skin. If weight loss also included low protein consumption, collagen loss may also be accelerated. The reversal of natural collagen reduction, skin redistribution and volume replacement of the face are the initial foundations of anti-aging and therefore rejuvenation of your skin tightening and folds.
Reviewing your photos and without the opportunity for an in-person consultation, you appear to have loss of volume of the upper cheek area and mild skin laxity of the nasojugal, nasolabial and jowl areas.
You do not appear to require any surgical, ie., incisional face lifting.
I would recommend that you:
- Consult with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options. Consider:
- A Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for external stimulation and skin tightening and acne / oily skin improvement. Well skilled filler injector or fat grafting of the cheeks and beginning folds
- Find a talented and skilled filler or fat grafting injector of the cheeks and beginning folds
- Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening
- Minimally invasive tightening options such as ThermiTIGHT or FaceTite
- Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting options such as Silhouette FaceLift suspension sutures
Once again, congratulations on your accomplishment. I hope this is helpful. All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.