Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dean Kane Answers Question Regarding Preventing Mid-Facial Drooping
Q: I tend not to like the idea of fillers because they don’t actually anchor or do anything to prevent the descent of cheek fat pad. Is there anything aside from surgery that can prevent or delay the cheek fat pad from descending to the lower face?
A: Thanks for sharing your concern. I hope the following will provide other options you have not considered. You will need an in-person evaluation to review the spectrum of alternatives available today to see how it fits your expectations, time and budget.
The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming tissue descent, skin laxity, folds and lines.
Reversal of natural collagen reduction and volume redistribution of the face are the initial foundations of anti-aging and the maintenance you seek. Regenerating collagen at the desired skin level requires stimulation of the “fibroblast” group of cells which make collagen and other structural molecules. Like a coil, these molecules twist and shorten, ie. tighten.
Consider consultation with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options. These include:
1. A Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for external skin stimulation and skin tightening.
2. Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of a bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening of the dermis and subcutaneous fibrous net. In a sense, it is “shrink wrapping” and contracting the tissues rather than adding volume to fill the stretched skin as you have mentioned you don’t desire.
3. Minimally invasive tightening options such as ThermiTIGHT or FaceTite
4. Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting and jawline defining options such as Silhouette FaceLift suspension sutures which it seems you do desire.
5. There is no one best solution, so a consultation is in your best interest.
I hope this is helpful. Stay well.
All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
Making the Decision to Get a Facelift
Skin ZO Obagi Facials and Peels
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.