Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dean Kane Answers Question Regarding Mid Face Sagging
Q:I am very concerned about the following areas upper eyes, under eyes, nasolabial folds, & corner of the mouth, and shadowing on my face in certain angles. From the front, it’s not that bad but from the angle shown in the photos, it’s really horrible. I did subtle fat grafting to my cheek a year ago, but should I have added more fat? What can I do?
A: Thanks for sharing your concern. Unfortunately, the one photo you have shared is not helpful. I hope the following will provide some options for you to consider. You will need a in-person evaluation to review the spectrum of alternatives available today to see how it fits your expectations, time and budget.
The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming tissue descent, skin laxity, folds and lines.
Your main options require you lift, fill or tighten.
Consider consultation with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options. These include:
1. A Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for external skin stimulation and skin tightening.
2. Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of a bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening of the dermis and subcutaneous fibrous net. In a sense, it is “shrink wrapping” and contracting the tissues rather than adding volume to fill the stretched skin as you have mentioned you don’t desire.
3. Minimally invasive tightening options such as ThermiTIGHT or FaceTite
4. Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting and jawline defining options such as Silhouette FaceLift suspension sutures which it seems you do desire.
5. Find the most talented and experienced filler or fat injector to expand the area of hollowing.
6. Depending on your mid-face anatomy and eyelid tightness, you may consider a surgical mid-face lift.
7. There is no one best solution, so a consultation is in your best interest.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.