Dr. Dean Kane Q & A
Q. What is the best advice to reduce swelling after lip lift surgery?
A. Following a Lip Lift or any surgery or trauma for that matter there are several activities which will help reduce the normal inflammatory response to healing:
- elevation of the body part (lip) above the level of the heart
- iced compresses alternating on and off for a minute or two at a time
- non-sedating anti-histamine such as claritin or zyrtec (or OTC equivalents)
- reduced activities for the next 5-7 days
- pain medication in anticipation of discomfort
- a tapered steroid regimen (if agreed upon by your surgeon)
- other anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen (when approved by your surgeon)
- keep the incision clean and free from crusting and bacteria
- Gentle massage
In all cases, it is your surgeon who must evaluate your progress and make recommendations.
I wish you the best!