Q: Hello. I went to a surgeon for a FaceTite consult, and was told I was not a candidate because I have basically no fat under my chin, that it is mostly all laxity. I am only 29 (30 in a couple months) and have just made an appt for a mini lift consult. I was hoping to someone might look at my photos and tell me if they think I might be a candidate for a mini-lift? I’ve been reading many surgeons advising against it, even for people in their early or mid-30s. I appreciate any information. Thanks.
A: Thanks for sharing your photos! They are partially helpful to recommend against a “mini-facelift at this time for your lower face laxity. There are too many other good options for you to consider! I do see your concerns regarding mild laxity of the jowl and neck and loss of jawline definition. I also notice mild acne which will be helped as well with considerations below.
The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming 5 growing “waves” of skin at points of attachment, developing:
- hooding along the eyes,
- lower eyelid / cheek junction or tear trough / nasojugal fold
- nasolabial fold,
- lateral mouth commissure and marionette folds,
- jowls and neck.
The reversal of natural collagen reduction, skin redistribution and volume replacement of the face are the initial foundations of anti-aging and therefore rejuvenation of your skin tightening and folds.
I am unable to remark on your face photos above the cheek so the following are for you to discuss with your anti-aging providers.
I would recommend that you:
- Consult with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options.
- A non-invasive, Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for exfoliation, external collagen stimulation and skin tightening and acne / oily skin improvement. Peels will further stimulate collagen tightening and “shrink-wrap” the skin.
- Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening.
- I cannot evaluate the thickness of your skin to consider a micro-lipocontouring of the jowl and sub-mental area but minimally invasive tightening options such as ThermiTIGHT or FaceTite are useful!
- Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting options such as Silhouette FaceLift suspension sutures.
- You do not appear to require any surgical, ie., incisional face lifting. While incisional lifting will stimulate collagen formation, the side-effects and risks, I believe outweigh the benefits.
I hope this is helpful. All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.