Q: Is there a procedure that helps a downturned mouth? I‘m considering a lower face/neck lift, will that help with the appearance of a frown?
A: Thanks for sharing your photos. It is helpful but not complete. I notice the aging process of skin laxity, folds, jowls and asymmetry. The beginnings of facial skin laxity start at 30 years old when collagen skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches, separates and elongates forming 5 growing “waves” of skin at points of attachment, developing:
- hooding along the eyes,
- lower eyelid / cheek junction or tear trough / nasojugal fold
- nasolabial fold,
- lateral mouth commissure and marionette folds,
- jowls and neck.
Reversal of natural collagen reduction and volume redistribution of the face are the initial foundations of anti-aging using fillers, botox, skin tightening and lifting. Don’t distress, “you’ve got options”.
I would recommend that you:
- Consult with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and his team regarding non-surgical and minimally invasive options. These include:
- I believe you’ll do best with a face and neck lift as a foundation prior to any non-surgical options. Thereafter, use the following to maintain your investment.
- A Zein Obagi, MD, ZO Skin Health retinoid program and peels for external stimulation and skin tightening, exfoliation and sun-damage correction
- Well skilled filler or fat grafting of the cheeks and beginning folds
- Sculptra is a minimally invasive injection series of bio-stimulatory filler for face and neck skin tightening
- Minimally invasive tightening options such as ThermiTIGHT or FaceTite
- Minimally invasive jowl and cheek lifting options such as Silhouette FaceLift and EuroThread Lift suspension sutures
Regarding the turned down mouth, this is due to the same descent of the mid-face, I have described above. Useful options to consider include:
- Fillers to the corners
- Botox to the muscles pulling the corners down
- Suspension thread lifts to the corners of the mouth
- There is a small surgical “lateral lip lift” from 30 years ago which is gaining interest but can cause visible scars.
I hope this is helpful. All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
Making the Decision to Get a Facelift
Skin ZO Obagi Facials and Peels
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at (410) 602-3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.