Dr. Dean Kane Q & A
Q. I still have loose skin after Thermage and Ulthera. There have been so many skin tightening lasers! Why does Thermi work and not the others?
A. This is a great question. The great barrier to non-surgical skin rejuvenation is skin tightening. While Retin-A has been the king of non-surgical skin firming and skin health for 50 years, laser technology has promised more than they could deliver up in skin tightening until ThermiRF.. Face Lifts still take 2 to 3 weeks before the swelling and bruising improve prior to socializing and 3 to 12 months before you can appreciate a real optimal result. While Face Lifts remain best for patients with significant skin laxity (“you can pinch more than an inch of skin” along the jawline”) and soft-tissue/fat loss and descent; today’s patients want faster results and little or no down-time due to their busy lives.
Skin shrinkage was first discovered (unfortunately) following the invention of fire. More recently, technology has used various energy sources to achieve skin tightening in a more rejuvenating way. Ideally, laser, light, ultrasonic and other energy forms would penetrate the skin and cause the collagen fibers of the dermis to shrink but the heat involved is either too painful or causes skin burns when reaching the temperatures required to stimulate tissue growth and tightening. Unfortunately, this has led to a lack of consistency or poor patient compliance in using treatments like Thermage, Ulthera and so many more.
ThermiRF focuses radio-wave energy similar to the cautery machine used in surgery. This device can be used to achieve many different effects from the face to the feet unlike the single use lasers most of us are accustomed too. When placed on the skin with a wand, the energy feels warm and comforting while reaching the proper temperature and called ThermiSMOOTH. When used minimally invasively with local anesthetic under the skin with a needle-like probe, dual temperature monitors and the tools impedance monitors provide triple protection against injury while offering skin tightening and skin lifting never before achieved without surgery.
Another added advantage of ThermiRF is the ability to combine it with or take the place of other procedures!
- External eyelid skin shrinkage achieving blepharoplasty-like results
- Following Sculptra for skin firming and thickening providing synergistic tightening of the face, neck, decollate, inner arms, upper thighs, around the knees, etc.
- External and internal vaginal firming with improvements in tone, lubrication, appearance, incontinence
- Just prior to liposuction contouring or CoolSculpting for areas with skin laxity such as gynecomastia (male breast), breast roll, arms, tummy, back rolls, inner thighs and knees
- In addition to the Silhouette InstaLift for non-surgical cheek and jowl lift with skin tightening
- Following facelift with quick return of skin looseness or laxity
- Neck skin laxity
ThermiRF is the “in-between” option for patients who resist surgery accepting a “tried and true” enhancement but not necessarily the “best” result. Other reasons for ThermiRF include those who are not candidates for surgery but wishing an improvement such as:
- Tobacco / nicotine users
- Renal failure and liver failure patients
- Those on anticoagulants
- Patients on anti-rejection drugs
- Individuals on auto-immune medications who cannot be off them for the time of surgery and healing
I hope this is helpful! All the best!
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.