Home » Blog » Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dean Kane of Baltimore Answers Question Regarding Lower Face Aging / Widening / Sagging / Volume Increase and Its Options

Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dean Kane of Baltimore Answers Question Regarding Lower Face Aging / Widening / Sagging / Volume Increase and Its Options

Q.  How to tighten or contour lower face? I am almost 26 years old and I feel like the lower half of my face is already starting to sag and I feel like my face always looks puffy. Is there a way to tighten or make my face look more contoured?

A.  Thanks for sharing your photo. 

The beginnings of facial skin laxity start when skin repair diminishes and passive skin aging relaxes downward. The web of fibrous compartments under the skin loses fat, stretches and elongates developing 5 growing “waves” of skin at points of attachment such as the:

  1. hooding along the eyes,
  2. lower eyelid / cheek junction or tear trough / nasojugal fold
  3. nasolabial fold,
  4. lateral mouth commissure and marionette folds,
  5. jowls and neck.

The skin itself is not dissimilar to crepe paper held together by collagen, elastin and other structural molecules which also passively diminish with aging.

Facial Aging are created from the 5 different layers of the skin, fat, muscle and bone. During the first 20 years or so of life, the body genetically determines how to develop and repair a constantly changing “face” including all these layers (as it does elsewhere in the body). Thereafter it remains robust in repairing itself from injury but the accumulation of environmental, health and nutritional exposure will add to the passive inability for the body to care for itself after 30. This is when physical changes such as skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, lines and wrinkles and skin diseases occur. We now have many options to rejuvenate the layer or layers of the face which need care or stimulation to reverse the aging trend.

So, it is important to understand there are 2 layers of the face and neck to rejuvenate; the laxed visible skin AND the sagging soft tissues under the skin. 

Today’s options offer non-invasive, minimally invasive and surgical options. In general:

  1. The lower face can be reduced, lifted, tightened, and / or
  2. The mid-face can be filled. 

Since I do not have the advantage to examine you, I hope you will be helped by the information below. My immediate recommendations are to obtain:

  1. consultation with a talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive skills in:
  2. non-surgical skin tightening using Obagi ZO Skin Health Rx regimen and chemical peels
  3. CoolSculpting to the lower cheek, jowl and jawline region
  4. minimally invasive micro-lipocontouring of the lower cheek and jowl
  5. minimally invasive injectables including fillers and / or fat to the mid-middle-lateral upper cheek
  6. Minimally invasive Silhouette Suture Suspension of soft tissues and skin
  7. Surgical implants to the cheeks

Everyone needs one or more layered improvement and in personalized combinations to achieve their optimal result. You can understand why it takes a talented individual, preferably a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with great experience to evaluate your needs and find a plan that works best for you. All surgical, minimally invasive and non-invasive procedures and their combinations should be discussed following a proper examination with a well versed, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs all of these options so you will not receive a biased approach because he limited in his skills.

Read more about similar topics:

Face Aging

Face Options for a Long Lasting, Natural and Youthful Appearance

This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.

Give us a call at  410.602.3322  or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.

« »