Q. Should I avoid certain foods (especially sallcylates) before a facelift + blepharoplasty with general anesthesia? I just read that certain foods can cause bleeding & bruising. I know about fish oil, but am now seeing that berries, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc. can also cause bruising. I’m vegetarian & eat a ton of fruit & veg. Please let me know if there are fruits, vegetables or grains I should avoid as I’m hoping to keep the bruising & swelling to a minimum.
A. Your questions are very intuitive. Yes, medications, foods, fruits, nuts, beverages, herbs and supplements all interact with each aspect of our metabolism and healing.
There are 100’s of prescription medications and OTC (over-the-counter) medications which contain substances to vasodilate and vasoconstrict blood vessels, “thin” or anti-coagulate the blood at different phases, create blood pressure changes, alter anesthesia drugs, antibiotic function and peri-operative medications and a host of other factors changing our “homeostasis” or equilibrium.
Some of these include:
- GABA & Serotonin stimulation = Sedation: 5 Hydroxy Tryptophan; Melatonin; Valerian; Kava
- Anti-coagulants: Arnica; Bromelain; Black Mushrooms; Clove oil; Gingko biloba; Ginseng, Ginger; Garlic, Bilberry; Dong Quai; Feverfew; Vitamin E; Honeysuckle; Wintergreen; Aspirin; Ibuprofen; Naprosyn; Chondroitin/Glucosamine; Saw Palmetto; Fish Oil / Essential Fatty Acids; Co-Q-10
- Stimulants : Phentermine; Ma Huang; MetaboLife; MetaBoost; Ephedra; Other Weightloss Supplements
- Liver Dysfunction / Immunosuppression: Echinacea; Goldenseal; Milk Thistle
- Flap Vasoconstrictor: marijuana, cocaine/crack, meth, migraine Rx, erectile Rx, migraine meds
It is best to limit your non-essential supplementation to a minimum 2 weeks prior to any procedure and especially with an elective, cosmetic surgery! Ask about your diet and medications at the time of your pre-op informed consent and education appointment.
Read more about similar topics:
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at 410.602.3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Carroll County.