Q: What can be done for droopy eyelids and bags?
A: Eyelid surgery is a common request for today’s patients. Depending on whether the problem is attributed to the Upper Eyelid, the Lower Eyelid or the Brow and Forehead, the options are different.
Some points to consider include:
1. Upper eyelid skin excess causing visual obstruction to surrounding features or simply to look better could require a upper eyelid lift or blepharoplasty (with or without removal of the fat bags) to create a more open and appealing eye and return to a more youthful appearance.
2. In our practice, 50% of patients show concern for the upper eyelid excess particularly along the outer sides of the eye brow. This is called “hooding” and may also obstruct vision but is attributed to “drooping” of the brow and forehead.
3. If the one or both upper eyelids themselves droop to the point of covering the pupil (black spot in the middle of the eye; it is called “ptosis”. This is a functional problem from trauma, tumor or disease will need an evaluation for proper repair.
4. Usually, lower eyelid surgery is performed cosmetically to reduce the fat bags which develop under the eyes and / or for the overlying loose or crepey skin.
5. Lower eyelids which are rounded or loose from the eye itself may contribute to an open but unnatural appearance of the eye region and contribute to irritation, dryness and irritability.
6. Following the evaluation and correct diagnosis of your eyelid problem, your desires can be addressed with cosmetic and / or reconstructive surgical and sometimes non-surgical (for example, botox or filler) options.
7. New to the non-surgical options for brow and forehead elevation and contouring are Thermi and Silhouette InstaLift. Using a RF (radio frequency) energy thin probe, ThermiTight will shrink forehead skin while the disolvable threads of InstaLift will lift and shape the brow to rid of hooding and lift the upper outer cheek.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at 410.602.3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Frederick.