Q. Immediate nodule/lump after Sculptra injection, do I continue massaging hard the nodule area? I recently received one quarter of sculptra injected in each side in the preauricular area- my injector has been using sculptra for a long time and is very knowledgeable and skilled with injecting this rather” different animal “- I chose a conservative dose-about 12 hours after injection I can feel a small attached deep nodule. I’ve been Massaging 5x5x5 and rubbing the lump -how soon after infection could lumps settle in ?Should I be worry about it ?Do I continue massaging hard the nodule area?
A. It takes 10-14 days before injury or Sculptra will actually start the collagen making process and cellulitis within 12 hours would be life threatening so this could be other things:
- Sculptra or the methylcellulose clumping within the product
- Most probably a small hematoma due to the needle striking a small vessel
- It could also have stimulated a parotid gland cyst and should be followed or aspirated
It is most important for your injector to know what has happened and provide the support you need.
Discuss the following options with him / her as it pertains to you:
- Aspiration to determine what the lump is
- Injection of a local anesthetic if it is the Sculptra mixture to further dilute, numb and allow for deep and firm massage to break up the lump
- Non-steroidals such as ibuprofen or naproxen
- Warm compresses.
- If it does become a granule or nodule, consider the tiniest dose of Kenalog to reduce / stop the inflammatory response and collagen formation.
I hope this helps. All the best!
Read more about similar topics:
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our practice would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Give us a call at 410.602.3322 or email Lauri@DrDeanKane.com and make an appointment soon. We’re located on Reservoir Circle just a block off the Baltimore beltway, convenient to greater Baltimore, Annapolis, the Eastern Shore, Southern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Frederick.