Cellulite is nothing more than a superficial layer of normal fat cells beneath the skin. The fat appears bumpy and irregular because it is trapped between a skin ceiling, a tough unyielding fibrous floor and thin fiber walls. Any swelling or reduction in the metabolic fat will inflate or deflate its appearance on the skin. Like a parachute, more or less air will create dimples and pulls on the silk chute. A thicker skin such as those of black, Mediterranean, Asian, Indian and other origins will resist the irregularities of the skin. A thinner northern European skin will more easily show the pucker, dimpling, hollows and bulges.
Any factor that causes the fat cells within its confined space to bulge or contract; or the walls, ceiling and floor of the fat compartment to loosen or tighten will affect cellulite.
Your lifestyle is the most adjustable factor in controlling cellulite. The basics include: exercise and proper weight control including a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber. Hydration and vigorous massage will help too.
Other factors include your metabolism and hormone balance, the thickness of your skin and pregnancy.
Unfortunately, Cellulite is not “curable” but there are improving steps beyond the lifestyle controls above to improve its appearance.
There are many cellulite treatment available. In the Baltimore Office of Dr. Dean Kane, board certified plastic surgeon, we offer massages, cellulite creams, lasers and light therapies.
- Liposuction. This is a surgical procedure to remove fat deposits from the body. Liposuction, though, removes deep fat, not cellulite, which is just beneath the skin. Liposuction may actually worsen the appearance of cellulite by creating more depressions and laxity by deflating the volume of the skin.
- Massage and Suction / Roller Therapies. These treatments may have a short-lived effect on the dimpling appearance of skin. They do not remove cellulite. They act by increasing circulation and massaging out fluid excess. It may be similar to a vigorous massage.
- Laser, Light, Radio Frequency and Ultrasound treatments. Many generations of devices have been FDA approved for use in skin conditioning. Those that pass through the skin, focus on different layers of the tissues to cause heat and or inflammation. This “controlled inflammation” “heals” by producing scar, ie. collagen to plump, shrink and otherwise improve the deficiencies we perceive in our skin and fat.
- Cellulaze. The latest minimally invasive procedures will pass under the skin to divide the fiber walls and destroy the superficial fat cells. Results will last as long as it takes for the inflammation and scar to soften; ie, 3 to 6 months.
- Topical Retin-A, retinols: Topical treatments: These products directly stimulate skin cell activity, function and productivity of a more youthful and more resistant skin structure. More collagen, more elastin, more GAG’s (the protein-sugar molecules) useful in a smoother textured skin. With the combination of mid-depth dermal lasers, we are visualizing greater improvements.
Be sure to visit our website: www.DrDeanKane.com for more information about other cosmetic surgery procedures and non-surgical procedures such as Coolsculpting, Voluma, Botox, Restylane and full array of Medspa Services including ZO Skin Health by Zein Obagi, MD.