Is Coolsculpting the best option to correct damage by liposuction to stomach? Lipo used to harvest facial fat grafts

Dr. Dean Kane Q & A shutterstock_33338728 Q. I had 9 total CoolSculpting treatments, 4 in one day and 5 in the same day two months later. I have gained three pounds since the last treatment and one inch around my waist. I was told if the CoolSculpting didn’t work, the company that makes the machine would pay for Lipo. I have heard Lipo can leave lumpy marks. I want my love handles gone and a flat stomach. I am 49 and a smoker, 5’5 and weigh 134 lbs, would a mini tummy tuck work or would I need a full tummy tuck, would I need Lipo? A. ​CoolSculpting (CS) works in those patients who work with CS. A small loss of fat in multiple areas will accumulate to a minor liposuction-like result when the applicators are properly placed. Just like liposuction (or tummy tuck) you may improve your contour but you must lose the weight removed by these techniques. Otherwise, the calories will make larger fat cells elsewhere.
  • ​​Since CS may achieve up to 20% reduction of the fat cells captured in the applicator, this leaves over 80% of the fat cells to enlarge.
  • ​CS, LipoContouring and excisional surgeries (like a tummy tuck) will improve form but are not designed to reduce calories. Unfortunately, many of us struggle with this.
​There are so many causes for weight gain particularly around menopause. ​ A full medical evaluation is required help direct you. A consumption diary, work-out diary, hormone levels and more must be reviewed. ​ ​At this point, Zeltiq has assisted patients in liposuction when a rare occurrence of Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia occurs; not when weight loss is not attained. ​ ​It is best to re-discuss your goals with your CoolSculpting Specialist or obtain a 2nd opinion from a well experienced, Board Certified, Plastic Surgeon who performs all of the above. ​ ​I wish you all the best!
« »